Marker text: FORT MAITLAND
was built in November 1838 by Lt. Col. Alexander C. W. Fanning, U.S.A. (1788-1848) on the military road connecting Fort Melon (Sanford) with Fort Gatlin (Orlando) and used as a stockade in the war between the United States and the Seminole Indians. The fort was named in honor of William Seton Maitland (1798-1837), a native of New York, a graduate of West Point whom President Andrew Jackson commissioned Brevet Captain for gallantry and good conduct at Withlacoochee 31 December 1835 and Welika 19 July 1836. He was severely wounded at Wahoo Swamp 21 November 1836 and was drowned in the Ashley River, S.C. The boundaries of this fort were definitely marked as late as 1872 when this settlement was officially designated
The beautiful body of water nearby which the Seminoles called Fumecheliga (Muskmelon Place) also honors the memory of Captain Maitland in its name
Site presented by Edward R. Hall, marked by the Orlando Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, residents of Maitland and representatives of Rollins College 14 March 1935.
Orlando Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1935