Marker text: THE OLDEST SCHOOLHOUSE
Built about 1838 and moved to this location after the hurricane of 1846, the Patterson-Baldwin House is believed to be one of the oldest buildings in Key West. The Classical Revival style house is reputed to have been built, but never occupied, by Alexander Patterson, a prominent Key West citizen and mayor. Various sources indicate that the Pickney family lived in the house and that Mrs. PickneyÕs sister Madame Passaloque, taught classes here until 1860, giving the house the distinction of being he first school in Key West. John Baldwin, who twice served as mayor of Key West, purchased the house in 1860. The property remained in the Baldwin family for more than 100 years. The house was painstakingly restored by Edward B. Knight in 1962. At first only the house's front side was restored to provide a Òbefore and afterÓ picture of how it could one day look. This award winning demonstration received national publicity and helped spark the historic preservation movement in Key West.
A Florida Heritage Site
Sponsored by Edward B. Knight and the Florida Department of State, 2011