Marker text: HISTORIC FIRE STATION NO. 4
In 1897, the first city-owned fire station in Ybor City was established on this site, then the heart of the Italian section.
It was a two-story frame building with a bell tower. Equipped with a hose-wagon and a hook and ladder truck, it also housed a blacksmith shop, and served as a hospital for fire horses.
In 1906, it was replaced with a brick building, and was used until 1972. In 1974, the station was designated for a museum, but was destroyed through a bureaucratic blunder.
Erected by The Italian - American Golf Association With The Cooperation of the Tampa Historical Society, 1990.