Marker text: ITALIAN CLUB LIFE IN TAMPA
Tampa's Italians have supported a flourishing club life almost from their first arrival in the 1880's. L'Unione Italiana, the first mutual aid society, was organized in 1894. Initially located directly across the street, the club stood there until fire destroyed it in 1914. The Italian community replaced it with the present structure in 1918.
Centers such as this, La Societ Italia, and the Sons Of Italy Lodge, have provided numerous cultural, educational and medical services since their founding and thereby have enhanced the quality of Tampa's life.
Erected by The National Italian American Foundation