Marker text: THE BIRTH OF YBOR CITY
In Oct. 1885, John T. Lesley sold to V. Martinez Ybor & Co. the first tract of land on which was built the original Ybor City. Purchased for $9,000 cash, Tampa citizens underwrote $4,000 of this amount to the new owners in pledged land and notes. Totaling 40 acres (of which Lesley donated 10) the site was bounded here on the East by California (15th) St., West by Leroy (11th) St., South by Kentucky (6th) Ave. and North by Texas (10th) Ave. The main thoroughfare was named Georgia (Broadway - 7th) Ave. Other purchases later enlarged the Latin Quarter and on the new plat, street designations were changed from names to numbers.
Erected by the Hillsborough County Historic Commission, 1963