Marker text: DELAWARE STATE FAIR
In 1919 local residents held several meetings to discuss the establishment of a fair. On January 12, 1920, the Kent and Sussex County Fair Association was organized for the purposes of "promoting and encouraging agriculture" and "giving pleasures and diversions to the inhabitants of rural communities." The first fair was held in July, 1920. In 1962, this annual event was named the Delaware State Fair to reflect its popularity and statewide appeal. The grounds have also been used for a wide variety of activities and events. German prisoners were housed here during World War II, and regular pari-mutuel harness racing was commenced in 1946.
Delaware State Archives, 1994