CT-005 The Green

Marker text: The Green - In 1659 the Mohegan chief Uncas sold to settlers led by Major John Mason and the Reverend James Pitch "nine miles square", part of which became Norwich. According to Frances M. Caulkins's history of Norwich, "At the end of the first century... the church no longer necessary at a look-out cost of the town, came down from the hill and took it's position at the corner of the Green... the place where trades, merchandize, public business, military exercises, shows, sports, festivals and the general enterprize of the town, found a center."

Today in Marker History


View more information