Marker text: SAINT PAUL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Designed in 1859 by Lt. Julian McAllister and built by shipwrights of the Pacific Mail and Steamship Company, St. Paul's is an outstanding example of early California Gothic ecclesiastical architecture. Notable for its fine craftsmanship, this building has continuously served the Episcopal Church since its consecration by the Rt. Rev. William Ingraham Kip in 1860.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 862
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Exxon U.S.A. November 25, 1973