CA-795 Site of Benicia Seminary

Marker text: Site of Benicia Seminary

The birthplace of Mills College founded in 1852 as the Young Ladies Seminary of Benicia. Acquired from Mary Atkins by Cyrus and Susan Mills in 1865, it was moved to its present site in Oakland in 1871 and chartered as a college by the State of California in 1885.

California Registered Historical Landmark No. 795

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Alumnae Association of Mills College, May 12, 1965

Today in Marker History


View more information