Marker text: FIRST U.S. NAVAL STATION IN THE PACIFIC - Mare Island Navy Yard was established September 16, 1854, by the then Commander David G. Farragut, U.S.N. Site selected in 1852 by a commission headed by Commodore John D. Sloat, U.S.N.
Mare Island had the Navy's first shipyard, ammunition depot, hospital, Marine barracks, cemetery, chapel, and radio station in the Pacific.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 751
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Solano County Historical Society, December 18, 1960.