Marker text: DON GASPAR de PORTOLA
Near this spot, October 20-23, 1769
Don Gaspar de Portol
And his land expedition, seeking Monterey Bay, camped for three days to rest those sick. Because of their rapid recovery, Father Crespi named the valley
Caada de la Salud
On December 10, 1774 Father Palo, returning from the exploration of San Francisco Bay, paused here to offer prayers of thanksgiving for miracle of restored health.
Erected by the California State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, 1941