Marker text: HAYES MANSION
Jay Orley and Everis A. Hayes built this Mission Revival Style mansion, designed by George W. Page in 1904. The Hayes Brothers were early San Jose Mercury publishers, prominent valley politicians, and were actively involved in establishing the Santa Clara Valley fruit industry. The mansion consists of 62 rooms, 11 fireplaces, and was paneled in over a dozen different woods.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 888
Originally registered December 29, 1975. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Stella B. Gross Charitable Trust and Mountain Charlie Chapter No.1850. E Clampus Vitus, April 19, 1986.