Marker text: UNITED STATES POST OFFICE - Constructed in 1892, this was the first federal building in San Jose. It served as U.S. Post Office from 1892 to 1933. Designed by Willoughby Edbrooke and constructed of locally quarried sandstone, this Romanesque-style structure, built by the United States Government, is the last of its kind on the West Coast.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 854
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Fine Arts Gallery Association, San Jose Historic Landmarks Commission, and the San Jose Historical Museum. October 22, 1972.