Marker text: DEVELOPMENT OF MOTION PICTURES - In commemoration of the motion picture research conducted in 1878 and 1879 by Eadweard Muybridge at the Palo Alto Stock Farm, now the site of Stanford University. This extensive photographic experiment portraying the attitudes of animals in motion was conceived by and executed under the direction and patronage of Leland Stanford. Consecutive instantaneous exposures were provided for a battery of 24 cameras fitted with electroshutters.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 834
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Stanford Historical Society, Stanford ECV Alumni, and the Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850, E Clampus Vitus, April 30, 1983.