Marker text: SANTA CLARA CAMPAIGN TREATY SITE - After armed confrontation nearby on January 2, 1847 and a truce meeting the following day, Marine Captain Ward Marston, commander of the United States expeditionary force, and Francisco Snchez, leader of the Mexican-Californian ranchers, agreed to a treaty here on January 7. United States forces were to recognize the rights of the Californians and end seizures of their property.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 260
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the City of Santa Clara and descendants of Californio participants, September 20, 1980.