Marker text: SITE OF 21-MILE HOUSE
This famous tavern and stage stop was located 21 miles from San Jose on the road to Monterey. The 21-Mile-House was built in 1852 by William Host beneath a spreading oak that later was called the Vasquez Tree. The house was sold to William Tennant in November 1852. Now destroyed, this stopping station was a place where horses could be changed, fed, and stabled, and where tired and hungry passengers could refresh themselves.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 259
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the California Pioneers of Santa Clara County and Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850 E Clampus Vitus.