Marker text: FIRST SAW MILL - About three hundred feet south of this monument, on the banks of the Alambique Creek, stood San Mateo County's first sawmill, built by Charles Brown in 1847. About the same time, Dennis Martin was building a second mill, also run by waterpower, on San Francisquito Creek. Both were run by water power and were similar in structure to the famous Sutter's Mill at Coloma.
State Registered Landmark No. 478
Marker placed by the Board of Supervisors of San Mateo County in cooperation with the San Mateo County Historical Association.
Dedicated June 8, 1952.