CA-926 Rios-Caledonia Adobe


This imposing building is an excellent example of California Mexican Era architecture. Using Indian labor, Petronilo Rios built the two-story Adobe about 1846 as his residence and headquarters for sheep and cattle operations. Named "Caledonia" in the 1860's it served as a hotel and stage stop between Los Angeles and San Francisco until 1886. Restoration began in 1968 by the Friends of the Adobes.

California Registered Historical Landmark No. 926

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Friends of the Adobes, November 22, 1981

Today in Marker History


View more information