Marker text: MASON STREET SCHOOL
First public school house in this county erected at this site in 1865 and known as "Mason Street School -- District No. 1" when San Diego County covered an area larger than three New England states. Restored by popular subscription in 1955.
State Registered Landmark No 538
Marker placed by San Diego County Board of Supervisors and the Historical Markers Committee Erected 1955