Marker text: BARSTOW HARVEY HOUSE
Harvey Houses were legendary in the history of Western rail travel. Operated by Fred Harvey in conjunction with this Santa Fe Railway, the network of restaurant-hotels set a new standard in quality meal service. Barstow's Spanish-Moorish "Casa Del Desierto" opened in 1911 and closed in 1971. It was registered as one of the last and finest remaining examples of the West's famous Harvey Houses.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 892
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus, Mojave River Valley Museum, San Bernadino County Museum, and Fred Harvey, Inc., May 1, 1983.