Marker text: TOWN OF CALICO
Centered about the ÒTown of CalicoÓ, The Calico Mining District, which had a peak population of 3,000, produced between $13 and $20 million in silver and $9 million in borate minerals between 1881 and 1907. On April 6, 1881, several claims were located that formed the largest mine in the district, the Silver Queen. Profitable mining of silver in the area ceased in 1896.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 782
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in Cooperation with San Bernadino County, Regional Park Department, May 12, 1973.