Marker text: OLD SACRAMENTO - Founded in December 1848 by John A. Sutter, Jr., Sacramento was an outgrowth of Sutter's Fort established by his father, Captain John A. Sutter, in 1839. State capital since 1854, it was a major distribution point during the Gold Rush, a commercial and agricultural center, and terminus for wagon train, stagecoach, riverboat, telegraph, Pony Express, and the first transcontinental railroad.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 812
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the City and County of Sacramento, April 20, 1966