Marker text: THE COLOMA ROAD
Alder Springs, south of this point, marks the old Coloma Road, running between Sutter's Fort and Culluh-mah (Coloma). Established in 1847, this road was used by James W. Marshall in January 1848 to bring the first gold from Sutter's Mill to the Fort. Later, travelled by thousands to and from the diggings, it became the route of California's first stageline, established in 1849 by James E. Birch.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 746
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sacramento County Historical Society and the Grand Parlors, Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West, August 14, 1960.