Marker text: B. F. HASTINGS BUILDING (WESTERN TERMINUS OF THE PONY EXPRESS)- This structure, erected in 1852-53, was occupied during the 1850s by the B. F. Hastings Bank, Wells Fargo and Co., various state officials, Sacramento Valley Railroad, and the Alta Telegraph Co. During April 1860-May 1861, the Alta Telegraph Co. and its successor, the California State Telegraph Co., were the agents here for the Central Overland Pony Express, owned and operated by the firm of Russell, Majors, and Waddell. From this historic site the first overland journey eastward of the Pony Express was begun on April 4, 1860.
California Registered Historical Landmkar No. 606
Plaque dedicated by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sacramento Historic Landmarks Commission, the Sacramento County Historical Society, the California Historical Society, and the Grand Parlos, Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West. Centennial Year 1960.