Marker text: DESERT TRAINING CENTER, CALIFORNIA-ARIZONA MANEUVER AREA The D.T.C was established by Major General George S. Patton Jr. in response to a need to train American combat troops for battle in North Africa during World War II. The camp, which began operation in 1942 covered 18,000 square miles. It was the largest military training ground ever to exist. Over one million men were trained at the eleven sub-camps (seven in California).
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 985
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the General Patton Memorial Museum and the Bureau of Land Management, November 11, 1989.