Marker text: FIRST TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILROAD-COLFAX - Central Pacific rails reached Colfax, formerly Illinoistown, on September 1, 1865, and train service began four days later. Colfax was a vital construction supply depot and junction point for stage lines for ten months. It was renamed by Governor Stanford in honor of Schuyler Colfax, Speaker of the House of Representatives and later Ulysses S. Grant's Vice President. The real assault on the Sierra began here.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 780-5
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Conference of California Historical Societies and the Placer County Historical Society, May 9, 1969.