Marker text: CITY OF AUBURN - Gold discovered near here by Claude Chana on May 16, 1848. First known as "North Fork" or "Wood's Dry Diggings". Settlement given name Auburn in fall of 1849. Soon became important mining town, trading post, and stage terminal. County seat of Sutter County 1850 and Placer County in 1851. Destroyed by fire 1855, 1859, and 1863.
State Registered Landmark No. 404
Tablet palced by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by Placer County Historical Society. Dedicated September 23, 1950.