Marker text: Founded in the Spring of 1861 by Joseph and Charles Dornbach. From 1854 to 1882 it was noted for its rich hydraulic mines. In 1860 had the largest voting population in Placer County. Chinese inhabitants numbered about 2,000. Here Theodore Judah and Dr. D.W. Strong made the original subscriptions to build the First Transcontinental Railroad.
State Registered Landmark No. 397
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by Placer County Historical Society
Dedicated July 23, 1950.