Marker text: MOUNT SAINT MARY'S CONVENT AND ACADEMY - Built by the Reverend Thomas J. Dalton, and dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O'Connell as Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage. Under the Sisters of Mercy, it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It functioned as an academy from (1868-1965) and a convent (1866-1968).
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 855
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Mount Saint Mary's Historic Preservation Committee and the Sisters of Mercy, October 28, 1972.