Marker text: ANGEL ISLAND
In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove. While here, the commander, Lieut. Juan Manual de Ayala, directed the first survey of the bay. This island, which Ayala named Isla de los Angeles, has been a Mexican rancho, a U.S. military post, a bay defense site, and a quarantine and immigration station.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 529
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the City of Tiburon, September 26, 1970