Marker text: PLACERVILLE Pony Express Station and Terminus- Gold rush town and western terminus of the Placerville-Carson Road to the Comstock, Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express from April 4, 1860 until June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860, the first eastbound pony rider, William (Sam) Hamilton, changed horses, added one express letter to his mochila, and sped away for Sportsman's Hall. On July 1, 1861, Placerville was the western terminus of the Pony Express until its discontinuance on October 26, 1861.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 701
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the El Dorado County Chamber of Commerce, James W. Marshall Chapter 49, E Clampus Vitus, and the Central Overland Pony Express Trail Assocation, April 2, 1960.