Marker text: SITE OF FIRST PUBLIC SCHOOL IN CASTRO VALLEY
This site was part of the original Don Castro Land Grant. In 1866 pioneer settler Josiah Grover Brickell made a land grant of this site for Òeducational purposes onlyÓ and paid the teacherÕs salary, who taught children by day, in a one room school house, and farm hands at night by candlelight.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 776
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Vallecito Parlor No. 308, Native Daughters of the Golden West, November, 25, 1962.