Marker text: FIRST COUNTY COURTHOUSE
The first court house where Alameda County government began, June 6, 1853. Officials met in two-story wooden building erected by Henry C. Smith and A. M. Church as merchandise store. Seat of government moved to San Leandro in 1856 following vote of people of county in December 1854.
State Registered Landmark No. 503
Tablet provided by California State Park Commission Base furnished by Alameda County Parlors of the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West.
Dedicated June 6, 1953